A Successful Week For Soccer
September 25, 2012 by Ty Roder
The boys’ soccer team pulled off a critical win against state-ranked Abraham Lincoln High School 3-0, and suffered a close loss to defending 5A State Champions Denver East High School 2-0.
On Wednesday, September 19th the Spartan boys’ soccer team beat Abraham Lincoln High School, but were defeated by Denver East High School on Friday, September 21st.
After a tough loss to Smoky Hill, the boys were looking for redemption against their first league opponent against Lincoln. Two goals scored in the first half by Junior George Jighere and Senior Ty Roder led to a 2-0 lead going into the half. Headin into the second half with the lead boosted the Spartans’ confidence. Junior Christopher Street scored on a free kick and the boys successfully held of the Lancers winning 3-0. “Redemption was ours and we took it. By playing as a team we overcame the tough loss with a giant win,” said Senior Goalkeeper Colin Suzuki.
The win put the team’s record at 4-2 on the season, and was the first time the boys’ soccer team had beaten Lincoln in a number of years.
Against Denver East, the Spartans fought tough with the defending 5A State Champions, going into half tied at 0-0. Early in the second half the Angels scored making it 1-0. Later in the half, the Angels scored off a corner kick to the near post, ending in a 2-0 defeat for the Spartans. “The game didn’t go quite as planned. We played well 99% of the time, but unfortunately the other 1% was all East needed to put us away. I was proud of how everyone played and, although the loss hurts, a 2-0 loss to one of the best teams in the state isn’t something to hang your heads about,” stated Senior Michael Mahoney.
The pair of games puts the boys’ record at 4-3. An away game at Montbello High School is the next opponent on Tuesday, September 25 at 4:00 p.m.
Friday 8/31 Aurora West College Prep Academy @ TJ 6:00pm (L 1-0)
Wednesday 9/5 Arvada High School @ Lakewood Memorial 4:00pm (W 3-1)
Friday 9/7 Northglenn High School @ TJ 4:00pm (W 3-1)
Tuesday 9/11@ Conifer High School 4:00pm (W 2-0)
Thursday 9/13 @ Smoky Hill High School 4:00pm (L 8-1)
Wednesday 9/19 Abraham Lincoln High School @ TJ 4:00pm (W 3-0)
Friday 9/21 Denver East High School @ TJ 4:00pm (L 2-0)
Tuesday 9/25 @ Montbello High School 4:00pm
Friday 9/28 Kent Denver High School @ TJ 4:00pm
Tuesday 10/2 George Washington High School @ TJ 4:00 pm
Friday 10/5 @ Denver South High School 5:30pm
Tuesday 10/9 @ Denver North High School 4:00pm
Friday 10/12 Denver West High School @ TJ 4:00pm
Monday 10/15 Bruce Randolph High School @ TJ 4:00pm
Wednesday 10/17 @ John F. Kennedy High School @ All City Field 4:00pm